Today is the two-year anniversary of me being poisoned by the antibiotic Ciprofloxacin. It's also my Sagittarius Sun mother's birthday (Happy Birthday, Ma!).
For those who have only recently started reading this blog, you can catch up on the evil that are Cipro, fluoroquinolone antibiotics, and Nazi (literally) pharmaceuticals companies by clicking here: Cipro is evil.
My system was devastated by this drug, erroneously prescribed for a very mild urinary tract infection that I'm not even sure at this point I really had. I took three little pills, and I've been working through a recovery process from complete systemic and neurological poisoning ever since.
Cipro was originally developed by Big Pharma corporation and agribusiness GMO-pusher Bayer to ward off anthrax attacks. Bayer has a long history with the military industrial complex and was once part of IG Farben in Nazi Germany. Cipro was given to many Gulf War soldiers and is considered by some to be one of the causes of Gulf War Syndrome.
Once the anthrax scare was over, Cipro was re-purposed as a cure-all for a variety of fairly minor infections, including urinary tract and prostatitis. Cipro is a drug with such severe potential adverse reactions (including death) that it should only be prescribed when death by infection is the other option. All less dangerous antibiotics, outside the fluoroquinolone family, should be tried first. Instead, fluoroquinolones like Cipro are being handed out like Chicklets as first-line antibiotics by doctors ignorant of the potential side effects. Most doctors do not believe the types of adverse reactions involved are even possible. None of the doctors I saw believed me when I recounted the severity of what I was experiencing. They should take a look at some of the stories here: FQvictims.org. Or on a number of other internet sites devoted to the subject. Unfortunately, expecting most mainstream medical doctors to do any independent research is sort of like expecting the audience of Jersey Shore to do so.
Though I'm night-and-day better now, two years in, I'm still in a recovery process, managing residual effects, and probably will be for a while longer.
My situation is, of course, only the tip of the tip of the Plutonic iceberg. Tens of thousands, probably hundreds of thousands, of people have experienced and are experiencing horrific reactions to fluoroquinolone antibiotics - many much worse than my own. But even that doesn't tell the tale.
In the United States alone, more than 2 million people have adverse drug reactions every year. Of those, 1.5 million cases require hospitalization. A low-end estimate is that 100,000 people die every year from adverse drug reactions in the U. S., making adverse drug reactions one of the leading causes of death. These statistics are old, and the numbers have surely increased as the manufacturing of drugs, their prescription, and sales have increased. There's an idea that adverse drug reactions are quite rare (false) and that the effects of them are fairly short-lived (often also false). People can struggle with the damage from these reactions for years, decades, their entire lives. There is a culture of denial, cover-up, irresponsibility, and greed in the big pharmaceuticals industry that, with Pluto transiting Capricorn, must be addressed layer by layer.
I was careful about what I put in or near my system before Cipro, but after Cipro, it went to whole new level. A level to which only Pluto can take you.
As Mars transits Virgo for the next eight months, the removal of anything taxing our systems unnecessarily is in our best interests.
From November 13, 2011: Mars in Virgo Retrograde: Precise Re-direction Within Grand Earth Trines
"Under Mars in Virgo, we're consciously fighting to maintain health in a world increasingly toxic to living things. Our systems are quite literally being attacked on multiple fronts. There's an immediacy with this Mars transit. There's no more time to put off the changes necessary to fortify our health. It's on. In order for our systems to continue processing and metabolizing what's going on, they need to be in tip-top condition.
Diet, exercise regimes, habits, routines, work conditions, the quality of our food and water, our mental and emotional environments - a crucial analysis and refinement is on the docket during this transit, fighting to maintain systemic health while preparing us for the next years on the planet. This involves the removal or at least strong limitation of anything that weighs our systems down: excess alcohol, drug use, cigarettes, perfumes, air fresheners, chemical cleaners, electromagnetic pollution, noise pollution, pesticides and additives in food, refined sugar, artificial colours, genetically modified food, fluoride, excessive internet, TV, music, shopping, socializing."
Part of this battle is the limiting of exposure to household chemicals and toxins. These are things we're around daily or weekly, including perfumes, dyes, air fresheners, and household cleaners, and they often go unrecognized.
Mars in Virgo and Going Scent-Free
These are some products I use personally that have helped. I found some of them on Amazon where you can buy bulk amounts for discounted prices and set up a group of them here:
Willow's Recommendations on Amazon
- Alberta Natural Products Simply Soap: This is a natural, unscented bar soap made in Calgary, Alberta that is affordable enough to use every day. I love it. You can purchase packs of six bars ($11.95 plus shipping) from a company called Global A.P.E. in Airdrie, Alberta, Canada. Telephone number: (403) 948-6928
- Puraderm: This company produces an unscented, hypo-allergenic laundry detergent I use. Puraderm site
- Dr. Bronner's Unscented Castille Soap: This stuff is magically great. It can be used to wash dry and sensitive scalps, and it doesn't leave an oily residue on your hair, as I've found most natural shampoos do. It can be used as soap for your body, as household cleaner, as laundry detergent - pretty much anything you need to clean can be cleaned with this. Because it's natural and unscented, it would be great as baby wash - much preferable to the Johnson & Johnson stuff, which, by the way, manufactures what is probably the worst fluoroquinolone antibiotic of them all, Levaquin. Purchase on Amazon
- Tom's of Maine unscented deodorant: As long as your pH is fairly balanced, and you're drinking enough water, this stuff works great. I sometimes layer the lemongrass scent over top if I'm going to have a strenuous day, but the lemongrass variety is too harsh for me to use alone - just a tip for people with really sensitive skin. Purchase on Amazon
- Natracare feminine hygiene products: Did you know that conventional feminine hygiene products are full of oil derivatives? Yep. Crude oil plastics as well as petrochemical coatings. Conventional products also contain chlorine from the bleaching process, synthetic materials, as well as unnecessary chemical additives and often perfumes. I don't know about you, but I'm not a fan of putting petrochemicals, chlorine, synthetic materials, or perfume down there. Natracare pads and tampons are non-chlorine bleached, perfume-free, plastic-free, and biodegradable. They also use organic cotton, reducing exposure to chemicals used on conventional cotton crops. Purchase on Amazon: super pads with wings, super tampons, regular pads with wings, regular tampons
- Lunapads: These pads are cloth with liners that are washed and reused. They can also be used for light incontinence. This company comes from Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, and I can recommend it because I use the products. Other companies out there with similar products include GladRags and WillowPads. Purchase on Amazon
- Green Beaver fluoride-free toothpaste: Fluoride is a toxic chemical, a derivative of aluminum processing. It should not be in our water, our medicine, or our toothpaste. Frosty Mint is the one I'd recommend. It doesn't get sudsy the way the major fluoride toothpastes do, but that's because there are no chemical sudsing agents involved. A good thing. Purchase on Amazon
- Soap Nuts: I haven't used soap nuts personally, but people I know do, including in the dishwasher. These are from a company called NaturOli. Purchase on Amazon
Natural Urinary Tract Infection Remedies
- Uva Ursi: This herb acts a diuretic and helps to bring things back to a state of health. Purchase on Amazon
- Traditional Medicinals Cran-Aid tea: contains cranberry concentrate, uva ursi leaf, cleavers herb, and marshmallow root. This acts as a diuretic to flush bacteria out of the system and is best taken as soon as you start to experience the first symptoms. Purchase on Amazon
- Cranberry pills: Cranberry pills have been found to help ward off urinary tract infections before they start. Preventative. Purchase on Amazon