These are some tips from my perspective as a practising pro astrologer on how to get the right astrology reading from the right astrologer for you. These tips will not necessarily apply to other astrologers, nor will other astrologers necessarily agree with them. (Astrologers pretty much never agree.)
1. Only have an astrology reading done if you feel you need one.
2. Check out an astrologer's writing, perspective, and style ahead of time before purchasing a reading. Finding the right astrologer is an individualized thing, and no astrologer is for everyone. Make sure this is a person whose perspective and expertise you appreciate and would like to receive.
3. Every astrologer practises astrology differently, and most have a very potent, individualized style. If you are looking for a reading in a certain astrologer's style, you will find it only from that astrologer. I'm not the female version of so-and-so, nor will I adopt the style of another astrologer. (I mean, what would be the point of that?) If you're looking for a reading from a particular astrologer, get that reading.
4. Understand that an astrology reading is not a psychic reading. Though astrology readings involve psychic/intuitive skills, an astrologer is not there to read your mind. Astrology readings are based on concrete symbols and data. It's fine to leave your reading open to the astrologer's interpretation if that's what you'd like, but if you're looking for information on specific topics, let the astrologer know when you purchase the reading. A general idea of your astrological literacy can also be helpful so the reading is neither too basic nor too heady.
5. Outside the details and direction given to the astrologer about the reading, try to keep a check on expectations about what you want to hear. This allows what you need to hear to come to you through the astrologer. Astrology is a very mysterious thing, and something you hear in a reading could apply to your life or make an important connection for you five or 10 years hence.
6. Don't stretch on cost. If you can comfortably pay for a 30-minute reading, pay for that, and work with the information you receive. If you're stretching outside your comfort zone, that generally means the astrologer will be, too. There is a certain energy allotment for each reading, and adhering to price constraints keeps the reading within that allotment.
7. Conversely, don't expect 60 minutes of astrological analysis for the 30-minute price. There is only so much that can be done within the timeframe of each reading. Respecting your astrologer's time, energy, and boundaries are keys to a happy astrologer.
8. If you have something to add or a question to ask during a live reading, don't be shy - by all means, say it/ask it. Your involvement and direction are generally helpful in live readings. That said, the more you talk, the less the astrologer does, so keep it balanced!
9. Appreciate the fact that we have access to astrology and astrologers in immediate and unprecedented ways due to the proliferation of the internet. What a cool thing that you can find an astrologer, order a reading, and receive that reading all within a matter of days. This could have taken months or years previously, if you had access to astrology at all. What was once limited to the financially and socially uber-privileged is now available widely. Astrologers who once practised in relative obscurity are now becoming more accessible public figures, and you can check them and their colleagues out extensively before you lay down your hard-earned money. We have great astrological advantage by living in these times. Keep this context in mind, understand that astrology has never before been flying around with the speed, frequency, and quantity as it is now, and be responsible with that privilege.
10. Even after following these tips, there is still an experimental element and an element of chance when it comes to having an astrology reading done. This just goes with the territory. It keeps things interesting.
The hope with these tips is that they will help to keep the right readings rolling through the medium of astrology...